Saturday, September 19, 2015

"Wonderful!... Two steps back, one step forward."

It only seems fair that if I referenced earlier changes to the layout as "one step back for two steps forward," then the opposite would hold true if another change brought me right back to where I was a year ago!

Sad to say, but I lost my way when I elected to add a second deck, focusing only on operations and allowing too many opinions to cloud what had originally been a very distinct view of what I wanted to achieve in my first-ever layout. I sought to build a detailed, high quality, mid-size layout in a reasonable amount of time. It would closely depict a modest portion of a prototype that had personal meaning to me and ultimately  provide a couple of hours of relaxed, trouble-free enjoyment for 3-5 operators, or myself alone when the urge struck.

Although I've known for quite some time that the multi-deck just didn't feel right, I delayed the inevitable. Well, Labor Day weekend came and the upper deck went. My wife summed it up succinctly. "Wow, the helix is no more!"

This is not an old photo of the upper deck being built! It shows part of the dismantling process of that deck to return to a single deck with greater depth and an optimal height  for constructing, scenicing and operating.

The benchwork which originally sat on the ledger strip, now sits  7" lower. While somewhat frustrating from an anal perspective, it's not the end of the world. Longer risers will eliminate any issue here, but I do need to be cognizant about landforms not falling lower than the styrene backdrop in the corners and along the peninsula.

The valence will remain as is, reduced from 8" to 6-1/2" when the second deck was constructed. The 8" depth shielded the lighting a bit better, but I am not readdressing that. The original pipe insulation along the valence edge, a la Kip Grant, will be reinstalled.

The original benchwork will hold the staging level at 40" and the pictured 19" risers, upon removal, will be cut in half and reused. Those 9-1/2" risers will then hold the layout at 48".

At least I can report that my 'temporarily permanent' backdrop system performed flawlessly. After staying in place perfectly for about nine months, it came apart effortlessly and, with the exception of the styrene backer strip with carpet tape, is fully reusable.

This is what one decommissioned upper deck looks like... sectional framework, backdrop and fascia. I'll be able to reuse most of the lumber and possibly some of the backdrop system for the lower level staging, unless someone would like to take the whole kit-and-caboodle. The helix frame survived intact and is leaning on a wall in the laundry for the time being.

Trevor Marshall has rightfully sung the praises of author Mike Cougill and his OST Blog. Ironically, Mike's post last week, "Cutting Through the Noise," confirmed my decision and summarized my position far better than I could. The blog's link is really worth checking out. Here's an excerpt:

"There are a lot of strong opinions and conflicting voices about the best way... Trying to listen to all of them will only leave you confused, maybe even frustrated and with all of the noise, it's hard to listen to your own voice."

I'll follow up in a few days with much more on this and allude to another timely post in another favored blog. For now, please allow me to sheepishly sign off.
 
-30-
 
 
   BONUS:  RHETORICAL  QUESTION  OF  THE  DAY... 
 
Why didn't I listen to this guy's advice right from the start?
 
"Just listen to your heart. That's what I always do." - Napoleon Dynamite


10 comments:

  1. Jim,
    It's gratifying to learn my post was helpful to you. What's far more gratifying is the knowledge that you are back to building the layout on your terms. Carry on sir.

    Mike Cougill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike... guess we all hit some bumps in the road... I will carry on, as should you. - JF

      Delete
  2. Glad to see this; you will be happy with this decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Riley - I already am!... I went months hardly walking into the railroad room... now, I'm thrilled with what I have before me... thanks for checking in - JF

      Delete
  3. You definitely sound a lot happier, Jim. Nice to see this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chuck... happier to walk in the train room... not very happy about the lost time or the public embarrassment!... but that will eventually pass - JF

      Delete
  4. Embarrassment? Pish posh. We all change our minds and have moments of clarity. YOU need to be happy with the RR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey David - Ha!... hopefully THIS moment IS the one of clarity... I think so, and appreciate your kind words of support... here in NJ, not all have been so generous, but they'll just have to live with their "disappointment" over my decision... thanks again - JF

      Delete
  5. Hi Jim, just discovered your blog and am looking forward to tracking your progress. Glad to see you are doing what needs to be done to make the hobby enjoyable, no matter what the cost. Once I discovered Lance Mindheim and Mike Cougill, I too achieved clarity of thought. Even though I try very hard to stay on the straight and narrow, it is way to easy to get sucked back into the "mainstream" of "more is better" and go down a rabbit hole of trying to squeeze as much track as possible into your space or to build a monstrosity for an entire shift of operators when the reality of it is that it will be just me with a throttle in hand. I am in the planning stage of my first real layout so I have the luxury of being able to make changes on a computer screen rather than with a nail puller. Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the OML, Jeff !... thanks for your 'support'... well said... my next post actually touches on a Lance Mindheim entry... good luck with your plans... sounds like you may not fall into the abyss that I did... BTW, a neighbor of mine who is just getting into model railroading called me yesterday to vent some frustration... he says he feels like he's in the CIA trying to piece together little snippets of information that are appropriate for his means on the do's and don't's of the hobby... ha, he has no idea what lies ahead! - Jim

      Delete